Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sixties Sophistication: Mad Details on Mad Men

Count me among those who have yet to see Mad Men. Although the show looks undeniably stylish and has been lavished with numerous awards, I've yet to see one episode. After a long day at the office, I lack the time to watch series after series. Having recently finished my Supernatural S1 - S4 DVD box, I've now continued with House (S1 - S6). I can squeeze in one or two episodes a night before I go to bed and manage a few more on the weekends. Even so, you do the math. It'd take me another few months before I have time to immerse myself in the sixties world of Mad Men.

But that doesn't mean I'm not interested. You might think it's the costumes that are beginning to draw me in; pictures of pretty ensembles appear frequently all over the internet. Or you might think it's the billboard charm of Don Draper that piques my curiosity and honestly, he knows how to wear his suits with style. Or you might think it's the time period in general that puts Mad Men on the top of my to-see list. Nope. My mind was made up when I read an article about the props. Yes, you read that right. The reason I want to see Mad Men is because of the details rather than the big picture. Mostly the perfume bottle holder. It's a gorgeous piece that really completes the scene.

I'll show you what I mean. Click the link at the bottom to view the article and images in their original size for better viewing.
Seeking perfection: A stagehand attends to a minor prop detail as actresses January Jones and Kiernan Shipka (Betty and Sally Draper) prepare for a scene



CLASSY: Characters Roger Sterling and Don Draper in a bar scene
CLASSY: Characters Roger Sterling and Don Draper in a bar scene



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1315217/Revealed-The-incredible-attention-TVs-stylish-period-drama-Mad-Men.html#ixzz1C3K6hzV6

No comments: