Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reading List 2011

Enough already.

I'm sick of buying new books only to display them on my shelf. I'm sick of starting to read a book and then abandoning it with equal enthusiasm.

What is the point of having a bookshelf full of books if they're only there for decorative purposes?

I've made myself a promise this year: I will not buy any new books before I have read every book on the shelf.

I'm writing this at work so the list below may in incomplete. First draft:

THE LIST OF DOOM:

READ:

Pride and Prejudice
Northanger Abbey
Persuasion
The Painted Veil
Masterclass in writing fiction
The art and craft of storytelling
Bridget Jones's Diary

STARTED READING:

Wuthering Heights
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Emma

UNREAD:

Mansfield Park
Sense and Sensibility - part of my Reading Challenge
Victorian Life
A Journal Of the Plague Year
Ulysses
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Middlemarch
Anne of Green Gables (not yet received)

I'm happy about one thing: that most of my books are still back home so I can't possibly read those (excuses, excuses...).

After that I should move on to my e-reader. That's still chock-full of partially-read books. But that'll come later. Let's start reading! Once I finish one of them, I will write a review.

2 comments:

ssss said...

We can support each other in our reading; I intend do to a lot more of it this year and I'm quite sure we can lend each other our books seeing we've got exactly the same taste :D)

Unknown said...

Yes, that'd be great. I know I'd love to read Jane Eyre. I started reading it on my e-reader but I know you have a hardcover copy.