Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge 2011



Can you believe it? 

As of this year, Sense and Sensibility was published 200 years ago. And yet, when reading the book or watching the adaptations, it doesn't seem that way. In celebration of its bicentenary, they are holding a reading challenge over at Austenprose.

                                                           -swoon-

I admit I've never read the novel (but recently bought Jane Austen's novels at Amazon) but seen the famous 1995 adaptation with the wonderful Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon and more recently the mini-series from 2008. I don't own the particular edition Austenprose lists. Instead, I bought the edition below because of the lovely covers, maps and cutesy appeal.


The edition I bought in all its girlishness

Now, I don't own any of the Jane Austen sequels - because, let's face it, who can live up to her genius, anyway? The only one I own is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but I never even finished reading that one. 


I do admit that Colonel Brandon's diary sounds interesting because of the more literary nature of those works. But until I know for sure I can get my hands on it, I'll keep it safely nestled on my wish list. From Prada to Nada also sounds entertaining but I couldn't find it on Amazon so I doubt I'll manage to get it in time.

My mother owns the screenplay by Emma Thompson but she lives in another country so that's not going to happen either...


With these limitations, I'll be forced to content myself with the original novel and a few adaptations. As of now, I commit myself to the following:


Level of participation
: Neophyte: 1 – 4 selections

Books:


Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen


Movies:


Sense and Sensibility - 1995

Sense and Sensibility - 2008

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for joining in Renate. I hope you can track down some of the other books that you could read for the challenge. Possibly at the library? I look forward to your reviews.

Unknown said...

I already paid a visit to the bookstore but they didn't have any of them. If I do find any, I'll let you know.

Roodkapje said...

The S&S screenplay is mine! I love it - as it is a perfect example of how a screenplay should be written. It's in my bookcase. And, trust me, it's staying there ;)