Thursday, February 10, 2011

Highlander remake on its way


And if that fact alone doesn't make you cringe, this will: the screenplay was written by Melissa Rosenburg, most famous for the classics that are the Twilight scripts. Talk about an interesting transition. How does one go from teenage angst to head-chopping action?

On the bright side, this is Hollywood's chance to make some improvements on the original. Yes, it was a great, entertaining action flick and Lambert made for some yummy eye-candy. But maybe this time they can...

1) Cast a Scotsman to play MacLeod. Maybe James McAvoy.
2) Let Ramirez be played by a Spaniard. Antonio Banderas?
3) Find a more interesting heroine than what's-her-face. Gemma Arterton? I like surprising casting choices.
4) Have a baddie more multi-layered and less of a freak.
5) More backstory. To be honest, that's my favourite part. It's all them kilts.

The only thing I'm certain that can't be improved upon is the music. Who doesn't remember the epic soundtrack Queen provided? -sigh- But maybe they can go the Daft Punk route and churn out a killer music score.

Producer Neal Moritz has promised that the new film will “stay true to the core of what we believe Highlander is.” But I'm still far from convinced. You just don't mess with classics. Why do they even need to be remade? What's the point?

Fast Five director Justin Lin will helm the remake. Who? I have no idea. It sure as hell doesn't sound too promising so far.

3 comments:

Demitria said...

This is one that doesn't need to be remade. Even with all its faults it's a cult classic. I was always a little confused that the Scot (Connery) played the spaniard while Lambert played the Scot...what is he anyway?

demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

ssss said...

Not sure what the story is either with all the remakes of films of the 80s. People keep knocking that era as being "bad cinema" but jeez, I remember us kids in the 80s and we thought it was all pretty brilliant!

I agree with your choices for actors though Renate, as long as Keira what's-her-name is not in it, I'll be happy :D)

And yes... Queen and that music, phew... still giving me shivers down my spine!

Unknown said...

Lambert is a Frenchman.

Keira Knightley. I agree. Luckily, Carey Mulligan is currently more popular. She's certainly more talented and that's what counts.