Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ode to a Writing Desk

Aren't writing desks the most fantabulous things? I certainly think so and antique writing desks even more so due to the history behind it. 

Just imagining myself sitting behind such a fine piece of furniture inspires me. I think of the creative souls of yesteryears that sat in my place, writing their letters (back when people still put pen to paper) and keeping in touch with distant relatives. A time when we travelled by carriage and dreamed of uncharted territory.


Writing desks remind me of courtship. Yes, they open up a whole world of girlish romance. And I'm not even trying to resist. So, let's marvel at a few lovely specimens. I own an antique one myself that I shall share soon in a post dedicated to the delights of antiquities. 


Fine, I cheated. This is a whole set. But I love it!







A modern incarnation


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love desks, no matter what period.
A pity people don't write at desks anymore.